On 9th July, the government launched its “Road to Zero Strategy” to lead the world in zero emission vehicle technology.
Not to be confused with any other ‘Road to Zero’ or ‘Round in Circle’ government strategies, this one is all about ensuring at least 50% of cars are ultra-low emission by 2030, and ensuring that the infrastructure is in place to support this.
If you’re in charge of a ‘workplace’, the good news is that on the back of Road to Zero, the Workplace Charging Scheme will now contribute 75% of purchase and installation costs (up to a maximum of £500) towards the cost of each charging socket installed.
The grant is available for to 20 chargepoints per applicant, across all sites.
In other words, up to £10,000 per business.
- Businesses, charities and local authorities which can declare a need for electric vehicle charging or an intent to encourage uptake of electric vehicles among their staff or company fleet.
- They must be located in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
- The scheme will pay for 75% of the installation and charger costs, up to £500 per socket installed, up to 20 sockets per business.
- The scheme is designed for off-street parking with chargers for the use of employees or staff fleet.
- It is not designed for commercial car parks, public parking or for retail outlets or hotels with guest parking.
- The charging sockets must be installed by an OLEV approved installer such as Spirit (listed as Spirit Solar Ltd on the approved installer list).
Claiming the grant
- The scheme is a voucher based scheme. You apply to the scheme administrator (the DVLA).
- If eligibility checks are successful, you will be issued with a unique identification voucher code via email, which can then be given to your OLEV-authorised WCS installer (including Spirit).
- The voucher will be valid for four months (120 days) from the date of issue, (expiry date printed on the voucher).
- Once the chargepoint(s) have been installed, the authorised installer will claim the grant from OLEV on your behalf by submitting a claim form via OLEV’s portal.
- A voucher can only be redeemed by installers who have been authorised by OLEV for the WCS and have approval from a chargepoint manufacturer to install their chargepoint models which are approved by OLEV. They must be authorised before they begin installing chargepoints. The chargepoint installation must be completed and the voucher claimed within the four month period. Claims against expired vouchers will not be paid.